Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Disrupting the Space & Time Continuum: Writing Tips

You know how you'll be reading a book and the characters have a really short conversation, yet we're supposed to believe they've gone to the moon and back during that time?

Or a character will stick something in their pocket that, unless they're Mary Poppins, would never fit?

Disrupting the Space-Time Continuum: Bookish Pet Peeves

Those things really bug me. So much so that I wrote an article about it for BookDaily.com. Here is an excerpt:
I'm willing to suspend reality in much of what I read. I know that most real-life relationships don't end as happily ever after as they do in chick lit. I'm pretty sure dragons don’t exist (though can we ever really be sure?) but I can enjoy reading a story about them. Time travel? Could be possible. Definitely could be interesting to read about. The hunky neighbor next door inviting the shy, dorky girl over for an afternoon of steamy... well you get the idea.

I'm willing to buy into a somewhat unlikely premise as long as it is well-developed. I'm along for the ride and am trusting the author to take me to my destination.

There are a few things I just can't suspend reality on, though...
Want more? Read the full article.

What are your pet peeves when reading books? What is so unrealistic that it takes you out of the story?

My Other Book Daily Articles:

Hot Dogs vs. Caviar
What's in a Name?
4 Steps to a Charismatic Author Photo

Vicki Lesage, Author