Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4 Episode 4: "Indifference"

The Walking Dead Recap and Review: Season 4 Episode 4
I love Paris and I love zombies. If you like at least one, you've come to the right place. Here's this week's recap and review of The Walking Dead, "Indifference", Season 4 Episode 4.

Ranger Rick walks through Karen and David's murders, generously presuming Carol was wearing a bandana even though no one else on this show seems to be fully committed to the quarantine or any sort of disease-prevention measures. Carol delivers a poignant voiceover about being strong and whatnot. Because, you see, it takes strength to kill people for the greater good and then hide it from everybody.

Since Daryl and Michonne and the two other people I'm not sure I like (Tyrese and Bob) haven't returned yet from their trip to the vet college, Rick decides to pack up the car and take Carol on a scavenging trip. He politely takes his time loading up the car so that Carol has time to finish her voiceover. The whole thing reeks to me of "driving the puppies out to the farm" but I'm never right about any speculation so I bet it's nothing.

Meanwhile, Daryl and the Warriors are trying to find a new car to hotwire/fix-up to get to the vet school. Michonne is bad-ass, as usual. Tyrese is suicidal. Then he's not. Then he is. Hey, we already went there with Andrea and Beth. Yawn. You're in or you're out, pal. Mmm-kay? No wavering. Bob is fighting his drinkin' demons and while that's a legitimate demon, again, yawn. Been there with Hershel. At least Daryl is cool as ever. But not because of the smoking. Smoking is bad, kids.

Back on the Carol and Rick show, they raid a house and find two hippies that seem to be more OK with the apocalypse than most. Like, "Yeah, the skin-biters are gnarly but we found each other and we're in love" the dude says about his new girlfriend. They were living in a greenhouse up until recently and were thus able to grow and eat lots of fruits and vegetables in relative safety, explaining how two peaceful people have made it in this crazy world so long. I'd also be willing to bet that there was some major weed growing in that greenhouse. These people are way too chill.

Daryl and the Warriors get their meds, Bob sneaks a bottle of booze, and then the predictable "Oh no! Zombies!" action sequence happens. By predictable I mean we know we're going to have one because it's a zombie show. But I'm not complaining. I love watching our heroes (and Bob and Tyrese) try to get out of new traps each week. But oh snap! Just when they got free, Bob almost died because he wouldn't let go of his Bag of Booze. I wouldn't want to either, but only because I would have at least put medicine in my bag too. Bob didn't because Bob is facing demons. Or he's just a douchebag. Daryl doesn't push him off the ledge like I thought he should, but I guess that's because our group has enough killers.

Segue over to Rick and Carol, who have accepted the hippies into the group (Rick could use a joint or two, I'd say) but the hippies insisted on pulling their own weight so they went out scavenging and everyone agreed to meet back in two hours. Um... something tells me not everyone's making it back.

While scouting the houses, putting useful items in their bags (Bob, are you watching? It's not that hard.) Carol tries to defend herself to Rick. He snarks, "At least I didn't murder two people."

She quips right back, "No, you just murdered one." Damn, Rick! You gonna let her get away with that? I mean, she has a point but still. Much as I liked Shane, dude had to go. It's a bit more of a gray area with Carol risking infection by stabbing and dragging two bodies around the prison. Especially behind the council's back. At least the council didn't exist when Rick did his murderin' behind backs.

But to answer my question, no, Rick didn't let her get away with it. He straight up banished her, apocalypse-style. See, he really was driving the puppies to the farm! For once I was right! Assuming puppies drive Ford Taurus station wagons loaded with supplies and murderers.

So that's a wrap for this week. Carol's gone (for now), Rick is wearing his leader pants (for now), and Daryl hasn't killed Bob (for now).