Monday, August 18, 2014

School Photos: France vs. US

You know how the French have a reputation for being chic, always managing to look just a little more put-together than Americans?

While you'll see snappily-dressed Americans and can occasionally spot a dumpy French person, I do find the stereotype to be true overall. A simple shirt and jeans is dressed up with a casually-strewn scarf that I would never be able to pull off.

Even the kids wear designer duds; a 2-year-old at the creche was wearing DKNY jeans the other day.

So I thought it'd be fun to show you some school photos as proof:

School Photos: Leo at the creche
"Hey, ladies," my French-American son says, as he leans back on the couch.
The long-stem roses and champagne on ice are off-camera, and Marvin Gaye is setting the mood from the kiddie CD player.

School Photos: Mika, Adeline, and the Jaunty French Beret
My husband, his sister, and a jaunty French beret.
No need to put a date on this photo, the sweaters are a dead giveaway. Even in France, the 80's were hard on the eyes.

School Photos: Stephen and the Electric Socket
My brother after sticking his finger in an electric socket.
School Photos: Vicki in 4th Grade
I didn't own a brush in 1989.
I loved this dress more than one should, not that you can tell by my smirky expression.

School Photos: Vicki in 6th Grade
These sleeves don't quit. Seriously, you'll have to fire them.
It's hard to say what I like best about this photo. The irony that I'm virtually swimming in my "DIVE: Bahamas" t-shirt? Shorts that should really be called "longs", considering they start at the belly button and end at the knee? The pose that says, "What? I always stand like this."

No, it's definitely the Columbus Day themed background. Who knew it was a photo-snapping holiday? "I want to remember Columbus Day 1991 forever. I know just the outfit. Fingers crossed it's Surprise School Photo Day!"

So, who came out on top? The French or the Americans? Hint: It's the Columbus Day photo for the win!